Wednesday, May 11, 2011

final post!

So this semester has been long and full of a billion ideas.
Something many people don't know about me is that it's extremely hard for me to stick with a project for more than two weeks. (i'm sure that this class has picked up on it) I know that that sounds horrible for an artist, but something i've always like about being a photographer is that most of my projects are usally pretty short term, or i can come up with different ideas by the week or day. So this semester was really a huge challenge for me. Sticking with one thing the whole semester. which, of course, i couldn't really do. At first i decided i wanted to do images incorporating QR images, but after only a few weeks, i got bored. And then i decided that i wanted to do polaroid transfers. Which i did NOT get bored with, my camera just broke, and the supplies were very hard to get. but this made me really think about what i love about photography. The spontaneity of a film image vs a digital image. I feel very passionate about this issue even as the semester comes to a close. Lately i've only been shooting film. so i figured it would be only right for me to make pinhole images. Something i've never done before. They ended up looking more like paper negatives, but i really enjoyed doing this. I liked the disciplin of having to sit still for sometimes 5 minutes long for an exposure and then going and developing the image just as i would with any other image in the darkroom.
So here is my final product. These were my favorite, and the ones that came out the best.
I displayed them side by side against a wood material because i thought that it brought it back in years. These tiny photos are kind of like daguerreotypes,which were some of the first images to be produced. they had a very long exposure time, and they were very very tiny. This made them very intimate.
For me, this series was more intimate and for me than anything else. I was becoming one with my images, as lame as that sounds. I had to focus on every single detail of the frame and the exposure, and every single movement i made would effect the image that was produced.
I am very happy with the outcome of these tiny images, and im glad i stuck with it for more than a few weeks. This is a big step for me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment